Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Transplanting

I'll be transplanting several azaleas this fall because they have overgrown their area. Fall is an excellent time to do this as the plants go into dormancy plus they won't be fighting the hot summer weather for survival. By the way, speaking of azaleas, the best time to fertilize them is after the blooms fade and again in the fall. the best time to prune azaleas is also right after the blooms fade. If you wait too long to prune you will cut off the buds for next season and won't have any spring flowers. You have the same issue with cutting off the dead-looking leafless stems of hydrangeas. Don't use the day after Thanksgiving as family time to cut back those "dead" hydrangea stalks. You will be cutting off the buds for next year.

1 comment:

  1. ok...I just bought a peony (actually 2). Love them almost as much as I love hydrangeas!! They are full sun (perfect). Do you have any tips that I should know before I plant them? Thanks! I was thinking of planting them where my jasmine used to be...

    ReplyDelete